This is gonna be pretty much all my thoughts on this ordeal, so unless something else huge comes out on it, this’ll be the last thing I write about it. This is everything I have taken away from the events that have unfolded.
- Did she do the stuff she’s being accused of? Who knows, but given that she pretended to be ‘hacked’ and her recent movement towards ‘it doesn’t matter what I did’, I think she probably did. So she’s emotionally abusive, dishonest, and a shitty person.
- Game Journalism is even worse than I thought it was. If Grayson worked for any real outlet he’d already be out on his ass, but game journalism seems to think they’ll all evaporate if any of them are proven wrong, so just continue adblocking and donotlink-ing everything.
- Game Journalists fucking DESPISE youtubers. I thought they might, but this really brought out the claws. Granted, Youtubers are producing better content than them and slowly driving them into oblivion, so I guess it makes sense, eh?
- Game Journalists are exactly as awful as the gamer’s they try to decry. I have seen so many shitty game journalists decry behavior while doing that exact behavior in the same breath over the last few days. Ya’ll motherfuckers ain’t any better than who you’re shitting on, you were just the first ones to crawl onto the empty pedestal.
- On a similar note, Gaming Journalism is so fucking insular and incestuous that I no longer believe there can be any hope of it getting better without almost a clean sweep. So just fucking adblock everything, contact sponsors and tell them who they’re sponsoring suck ass, use donotlink, pastebin, whatever.
- Game Journalists hate you. Yes, you, reading this. They hate that social media allows you to contradict them. They hate that youtube allows you to make your own content to compete with them. They hate that adblock allows you to choose what articles and content is worth giving adviews to. So fuck ‘em, stop supporting them, if you ever did.
- Anything even tangentially related to feminism can never be reasonably discussed on social media because the two groups of chucklefucks that completely ignore the actual subject to throw shit at each other will immediately take over the discussion and turn it into another bunch of fucking nothing
- There are a lot of indie devs that are fucking furious they’re not making as much money as they think they should be making.
- If you’re going to pretend 4chan hacked you, try a little more than ‘not at all’.
This entire scandal has just confirmed to me that social media has basically destroyed discourse forever.
Everybody who disagrees with Zoe Quinn or the ideals she supports are going to use this to attack both because they see an opportunity to do so.
Everybody who agrees with the ideals she supports are going to defend her to the death even though they shouldn’t, because otherwise they’re letting their own ideals get savaged in public space. To them, Zoe Quinn is equivalent to their own beliefs.
Whatever higher being you do or don’t believe in could carve the truth in obsidian slabs with lightning before their eyes and if it wasn’t the truth they wanted they’d completely ignore it.
So you have two completely unreasonable, implacable sides shrieking at each other that in the end will accomplish nothing but driving more reasonable people away from discourse and causing them to think less of everyone involved.
That’s what I’m afraid is going to be the end result of discourse on social media; two lunatics, frothing at the mouth, screeching at other, while nobody else watches or even gives a shit because it got old long ago.